Top Ten Myths of Parent Pledge
- Public school is free.
- If you pay rent or taxes you’re doing your part.
- If you volunteer you’re doing your part.
- We can maintain our programs without parent financial support.
- Our reserves can keep us going.
- You need to pledge $500 a year.
- Attending a program fundraiser is enough.
- The change to the parcel tax doesn’t affect your program.
- We receive enough state funds to support art, aides and music in our district.
- We receive enough federal funding for anything.
Top Ten Truths About Parent Pledge
- Every bit counts – if you can afford a cell phone you can afford to pledge.
- Most parents pledge monthly – not in one chunk.
- The average pledge amount is $30 a month.
- Every pledge dollar goes directly to your program(s).
- If pledge numbers do not significantly increase – due to the shift in parcel tax – many of the things that make us love our district will start to disappear.
- Pledge pays for aides, art, music, staff development and field trips – the things that are an important part of a well rounded education.
- Pledge can come from parents, grandparents, your employer or your great aunt Sally in Washington.
- You can pay pledge online! Try it now!
- Pledging is as much a part of your participation in your kid’s education as getting them to school on time.
- Don’t assume other people are pledging and therefor you don’t need to. Only 25% of our families have pledged this year – which is up from last year.
The Lagunitas School District’s charitable foundation, LEAP, coordinates the yearly Parent Pledge drive on behalf of the parent groups of the Montessori program, Open Classroom, and Middle School. Each year, we appeal to every family in our school district to make a tax-deductible contribution to our programs.
We believe public education should be much more than just reading, writing and arithmetic. Although these core subjects are undoubtedly essential to learning and communicating, all of our district programs share the philosophy that the best education promotes love of learning by weaving art, music, nature, movement and a true sense of community into the curriculum and the child’s daily experience.
Unfortunately, the current funding for public schools in California is not enough to make this a reality. All of our programs -Open, Montessori, and Middle School- rely heavily on parent pledges to give our young learners these opportunities.
Your contribution will go directly into your child’s program budget, providing support for projects such as:
- Montessori — Instructional Assistants, Art, Music, Gardening and Nutrition, Montessori Materials and Training, and Technology
- Open Classroom — Art, Music, Trapeze, Movement, and Instructional Assistants
- Middle School — Laptop Computers, Emotional Literacy, Electives Program, and Instructional Assistants
- LEAP – General Fund, the LEAP board will allocate these funds to programs facing a shortfall or other district wide needs
Please join us in supporting the Lagunitas School District’s continuing tradition of providing a rich educational environment for our children. Your pledge is crucial for bridging the gap between government funding and the real financial needs of our unique programs. Thank you so much for your generous support.
If you wish to make your pledge with a credit or debit card, please visit our online pledge page. If you prefer to send a check or set up a recurring payment, please fill out this PDF and send it to LEAP PO Box 268 San Geronimo CA 94963
LEAP is a 501(c)3 organization, and all donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Your card or bank statement will show the donation as ‘Lead Enrich San Geronimo’